Resources for Parents
with Young and Adult Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder
Adults with Autism Reports
- Transition Toolkit: A Guide to Assist Families on the Journey from Adolescence to Adulthood , (Autism Speaks 2011)
- Advancing Future for Adults with Autism (AFAA) , 2009 Think Tank Report
- The Current State of Services for Adults with Autism, Peter Gerhardt, Organization for Autism Research (OAR), 2009
- Life Journey through Autism: A Guide for Transition to Adulthood, Organization for Autism Research (2006)
Recommended Books on Autism and Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA)
- Autism Spectrum Disorders: The Complete Guide to Understanding Autism, Asperger’s Syndrome, Pervasive Developmental Disorder, and Other ASDs, Chantal Sicile-Kira
- Behaviorask: Straight Answers to your ABA Programming Questions, Bobby Newman, Ph.D., B.C.B.A.; Dana R. Reinecke, Ph.D., B.C.B.A.; & Tammy Hammond, M.A., B.C.B.A.
- Behaviorspeak: A Glossary of Terms in Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA), Bobby Newman, Ph.D., B.C.B.A.; Kenneth F. Reeve, Ph.D., B.C.B.A.; Sharon A. Reeve, Ph.D., B.C.B.A.; & Carolyn S. Ryan, M.Phil. B.C.B.A.
- Teaching Conversations to Children with Autism: Scripts and Script Fading, Lyn E. McClannahan, Ph.D. & Patricia J. Krantz, Ph.D.
- Reaching Out, Joining In: Teaching Social Skills to Young Children with Autism, Mary Jane Weiss, Ph.D., B.C.B.A. & Sandra L. Harris, Ph.D.
- Functional Behavior Assessment for People with Autism: Making Sense of Seemingly Senseless Behavior, Beth A. Glasberg, Ph.D., B.C.B.A.
- Social Skills Training: For Children and Adolescents with Asperger Syndrome and Social-Communication Problems, Jed E. Baker, Ph.D.
- Toilet Training for Individuals with Autism and Related Disorders: A Comprehensive Guide for Parents and Teachers, Maria Wheeler, M.Ed.
Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) Websites
- Association for Behavior Analysis International (ABAI) www.abainternational.org
- Association of Professional Behavior Analysts (APBA) www.apbahome.net
- Behavior Analyst Certification Board (BACB) www.bacb.com
- California Consortium for Behavior Analysis (SCCBA) www.ccbainfo.org
General Autism Websites
- Association for Science in Autism Treatment (ASAT) www.asatonline.org
- Autism Society www.autism-society.org
- Autism Speaks www.autismspeaks.org
- Families for Early Autism Treatment www.feat.org
- Los Angeles Families for Effective Autism Treatment (LA FEAT),www.lafeat.org
- National Autism Center http://www.nationalautismcenter.org
- Schafer Autism Report www.sarnet.org
Funding Sources for Autism Support Services
- School Districts – Federal Law
- Regional Centers – California Law, Lanterman Developmental Disabilities Services Act. http://www.dds.ca.gov/Statutes/Statutes_Home.cfm
- Insurance Coverage –
- Various State Laws: Legislation has been passed in the following states requiring some coverage for ABA treatment for some children with autism: Arizona, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Maine, Montana, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, and Pennsylvania.
- California Law: Mental Health Parity Act – AB 88, Autism Insurance Act SB 946 will take effect on July 1, 2012
- www.autismvotes.org This is Autism Speaks’ public policy division that is spearheading national efforts to get autism treatment legislation passed in the various states and at the federal level.
- www.autismhealthinsurance.org (Dr. Karen Fessel and Ms. Feda Almaliti) These advocates assist with navigating the process of acquiring funding from health insurance plans to cover ABA treatments for individuals with autism.