Autism researchers and therapists from UCLA’s Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior wrote an article regarding autistic teens and dating.
Dating can be intimidating and challenging but despite this reality it has the potential for being a positive and worthwhile experience. What advice do parents need for discussing dating and intimacy with their autistic teenage sons and daughters?
Here are some general guidelines:
- Encourage open dialogue
- Be proactive
- Don’t delay discussions
- Role play
- Discuss who,when,where and how to ask someone out
- Explain how to handle rejection
- Discuss steps of going on a date
- Discuss how to end a date
- Discuss different levels of intimacy
- Discuss how to dress for a date
Read full article here: